Are you looking for your customer pain points? Identifying your customer pain points can create solutions your ideal client is looking for and willing to pay for.
A customer’s pain point is the emotion they feel when they think of a specific need, problem, weakness, struggle, or an unfulfilled desire they didn’t find a solution for yet.
Defining your customer’s pain points gives you the opportunity to create solutions through your products and services that will take away their specific pain; creates trust and credibility for your company.
In the online marketing industry, we say the money is in the niches. Likewise, in identifying your ideal client needs, the money is in their pain.
The Five Stages of Customer Pain
- They feel somewhat uncomfortable in the situation they are in but overall they are good.
- They are not happy with their pain but they can live with it.
- They are very unhappy with their pain and wish for a change.
- They want to change and start thinking about how they can do it.
- They are desperate to find solutions.
At what stage is your ideal client is willing to stop and start listening to you while purchasing your products and services? The more your prospects climb up the ladder of pain, the more they are ready to be converted.
- When you review the questions you get from your prospects, in your social media conversations, or when you out there, speaking and educating people, start listening. You will here which stage of pain they are experiencing.
- Recognize what type of pain (read the customer pain point definition of the four types your ideal client is goes through below)
- Create solutions to overcome their pain.
Get familiar with the different types of pain your ideal client may experience and use the examples below to think about the solutions you can provide.
Customer Pain Point Definition: Four Types Of Pain Your Ideal Client May Experience
#1 Physical Pain
In the English language, pain points can mean many different things. When we hear about “pain”, the most obvious thing is to think about physical pain. That there is something wrong with our body. Doctors, healers, or any health service providers take care of this obvious physical pain.
When I work with entrepreneurs and business owners, I often hear them complaining about back and neck pain, shoulder pain, or headaches and migraines. I am not a doctor but by knowing my own entrepreneurial lifestyle of 24/7, business pressure and the need to make it as a successful entrepreneur can easily show up as physical pain points.
Did you ever try to work with somebody who is in pain? It’s tough.
- You cannot help your ideal client be successful if their mind is not able to absorb information, think, or execute properly.
- You aren’t a doctor but you can guide them to find help through a therapist or any other professional minimizing the physical pain they are feeling due to being overwhelmed, fearful, stressed out.
The better your ideal client can think and function, the easier it will be for you to help them create an amazing business success.
#2 Mental Pain
Mental pain often comes from data, information, or task overload. Did you ever wake up in the middle of the night thinking about work? Or you couldn’t sleep because you worried you forgot a task?
Mental overload with this mental pain happens to all of us. The successful entrepreneurs and companies have three things in common:
- They have a short term, mid- and long-term plan and goals in place.
- All their daily tasks support their goals.
- They create a daily to-do list the night before.
If you experience that your ideal client is dealing with mental pain points, help them to structure themselves better to feel less stressed out and accomplish more.
#3 Emotional Pain
- Emotional pain can come from many things and often shows up in physical pain too.
- Emotional pain happens when people have a low self-esteem, self-love or self-confidence.
I think every entrepreneur or business owner goes through this from time to time. We feel misunderstood, not appreciated or valued, criticized, judged, unloved, or feel a fear of failure or fear of success.
All these emotions come with one result, pain. And when we feel pain we become dysfunctional, have low energy, lose productivity, or in the worst case, give up.
Many of my clients start very excited and highly motivated, then comes the moment of truth. It happens mostly when they start executing what they learned, or when they realize they are responsible for the results they get. It benefits you to recognize if your ideal client is experiencing emotional pain and pick them up.
Help them with solutions on how to overcome their emotional pain. It is a way to establish client rapport, relationships, and nurture your way to becoming a trusted advisor.
#4 Spiritual Pain
Spiritual pain often happens when entrepreneurs, business owners or employees do work against their spiritual belief. When you love animals and you are against animal abuse, working in a battery-cage chicken farming environment can be brutal to your spirit. The same happens when entrepreneurs work with clients who have opposite beliefs.
Their attitude from loving their business can change very fast to hating to deal with their clients.
What I do when I first start working with clients is to identify not only the target market they want to serve to make money but also making sure that this target market fits their ethics, beliefs, and aligns with their WHY (why they are in business).
The closer their ideal client fits their own spiritual mindset, the happier both will be.
Unfortunately, most humans only learn through pain. By understanding what pain your ideal client is going through, you have the chance to create solutions that will help them overcome their pain points, create less stress, have more free time and make more money.
This also gives you the opportunity to pass your competitors in your market field and to become the number one authority in your niche. Don’t wait to get started to write down your own customer pain point definition. Let our sales and demand generation team at Sozial Monster help you, if you need guidance by filling out our contact us form. We live in a world that, if you don’t take advantage of the opportunity we identify, your competitors will.
Dagmar Gatell is an internationally respected SEO consultant, coach and strategist. She is the founder of Global Empire SEO Consulting. Dagmar successfully guides entrepreneurs by turning their expertise into successful global revenue generating businesses. She is a guest blogger at Sozial Monster.